Meet the Team
You will put a lot of thought and energy towards considering what school is the best fit for your child. Hopefully, the time you spend on campus and in classrooms, meeting teachers, and asking questions of your own will be helpful and informative. Our program can be described as academically rigorous, but that rigor reflects the value we place on collaboration, creativity, communication, and innovation in the classroom. Through a progressive approach to teaching and learning, we encourage students to apply learned skills to identify and solve new problems as opposed to repeating facts and figures. Your child will be known, loved, and appropriately challenged within this environment.
We believe in and work to foster an authentic partnership between home and school in order to best serve our students. Consistent communication and shared strategy are key elements to making this partnership work well. In addition, we feel that a good school is as valuable to parents and caregivers as it is to students. To that end, we offer consistent opportunities for parent education and collaboration, and we welcome parent involvement in a variety of volunteer capacities. At the end of the day, it is the overall comfort level and “fit” of a school that matters most. If you can imagine your child being happy and well-served in a particular environment, and if that environment feels right on an intuitive level, it is generally a very good indicator of the right choice.
Our application process differs slightly depending on the grade for which you're applying. Choose a grade below and follow the numbered steps for the entire process. Applications are currently being accepted on a rolling basis through early spring.
For All Applicants
- Parent / Guardians Visit GUS: Classroom and campus tours and parent/guardian interviews are vital in helping us learn about your child and your family, and enable us to understand your goals for your child’s education.
- Submit Application: Glen Urquhart School will now accept the Standard Application Online (SAO). Alternatively, you can submit the GUS Application through the “Apply” section of our website. If you would prefer to use a paper application please contact Kristie Gonzalez at email@example.com or call 1-978-927-1064 ext. 115.
- Complete the Student Evaluation and School Records Request (found online).
Candidates for kindergarten should be five by September 1 of the year he/she will enroll.
4. Register for Assessment: Kindergarten and First Grade applicants attend a fun one to two hour assessment and playgroup. The on-campus screening includes subsets on speech and articulation, fine and gross motor control, and cognitive work with numbers and letters. While the playgroup meets, parents will chat with the head of school, director of lower school, and admission director. Specific registration times and details will be sent to you once your application is received.
4. Schedule Class Visit: Candidates in grades 2-4 spend a school day (8:15 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.) visiting classes with a GUS host "buddy" and their peers. During this time candidates will also participate in a short math, reading, and writing evaluation. To schedule your class visit, please email Kristie Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-978-927-1064 ext. 115.
4. Schedule Class Visit: Candidates in grades 5-8 spend a school day (8:15 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.) visiting classes with a GUS host "buddy" and their peers. During this time candidates will also participate in a short math, reading, and writing evaluation. To schedule your class visit, please email Kristie Gonzalez at email@example.com or call 1-978-927-1064 ext. 115.
5. Register for the ISEE or SSAT: As part of the process, candidates to grades 5-8 should also take the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) at any of the local testing sites, or students may take the ISEE at Glen Urquhart School on Saturday February 3, 2017 at 8:30 a.m. Please register your child to take the ISEE at erblearn.org. Applicants must submit ISEE scores and supply our school’s test code 222698 in order for us to receive your scores. Alternatively, applicants may choose to submit the SSAT instead and follow a similar process to the above.
*GUS will also be an accommodation site for the ISEE. Accommodations must be pre-approved by ISEE/ERB. We will offer: extended time 50%, large print test, written answers in the test booklet, and use of calculator (provided by the family).